Monday, August 29, 2011


I decided to become a vegetarian about 25 years ago. I had just started working at a TV station in Dallas as a production assistant. A "PA" helps wherever needed in getting the news on the air. One of my duties was pulling file tape. One of our veteran reporters named Bill Brown had asked me to pull file of Greenpeace. The group was doing what they do best on the Rainbow Warrior trying to protect whales. While looking through the tape which had several pieces of video on it, I ran across some video that was taken undercover in a slaughterhouse. I won't go into detail, because anyone who is familiar with factory farming, animal rights, or even anyone who's seen "undercover" video before, know that it wouldn't be pleasant.

I'd never seen undercover video before, but it impacted my life like never before. I went home that evening still thinking about what I'd seen on the tape and knew I didn't want to have anything to do with contributing to the suffering of animals.

It was difficult at first, because one of my favorite things to grab-on-the-go was Wendy's. I'd never liked McDonald's or Burger King or any other fast-food burger, except Wendy's. I also loved Taco Bell. But I went "cold turkey" (pun intended). From that evening on, I've been aware of factory farming and animals rights on an unprecedented level. And I've never looked back.

I've seen numerous health benefits of being vegan, but I do it for the animals. I have a cat who keeps me company and she is a constant reminder of how precious life is, all life. And that all living things deserve a chance to exist without the threat of humankind.

No comments:

Post a Comment