Sunday, July 28, 2013

Far Infrared Sauna - What Is It?

I decided to experience a Far Infrared sauna after reading many posts about it; I also read about its health benefits as I was reading the book "Hippocrates Lifeforce" by Brian Clement, co-director of the Hippocrates Health Institute in West Palm Beach, Florida.  The objective of the Hippocrates Health Institute is to help individuals who visit - to become whole and healthy again through a diet of vegan, raw (living) foods, Wheat Grass juice, and many other positives for the body, one of these positives being the Far Infrared Sauna.

Regular saunas operate at temperatures hovering around 170-degrees and use steam, making it difficult for some to bear.  The Far Infrared is intended to operate at temperatures between 110 and 130 degrees using no steam.  The sauna uses "radiant heat" to warm the body making the entire experience quite comfortable.

Why would one even need to bother with a Far Infrared Sauna?  Well, the principle behind the sauna which has been around for a very long time in the far east is intended to help detoxify the body (before you roll your eyes and scream at hearing the word "detoxify" again); you really need to read up on the sauna itself.  The infrared heat penetrates deeply through the skin to reach muscles, joints and of course, other tissues.  This increases your metabolism and promotes circulation to help eliminate toxins through sweat.

I experienced the FIR at the Dallas Colon Care Center located at 9900 N. Central Expressway in Dallas, Texas.  This is a small office run by a lovely woman named Deanna Asencio, she even has her mother working there on some weekdays.  She is also quite a lovely woman.  I was not really sure what to expect, so I called and was told I should bring a one litre bottle of water (I chose to take a high PH water for the minerals and potassium).  I was then told I would need to take a shower to wash off all body lotions, deodorants and whatever else one chooses to slather on one's body.  I was given total privacy, which I greatly appreciated.  After my shower, I walked into the sauna where it had been prepped for me, the temperature was set at 130-degrees and there were several towels on the bench.

Another interesting thing about the sauna, before I went to the Dallas Colon Care Center for this - I had called another place in Dallas called Move Studio (an exercise facility, which I have not had the pleasure to visit yet, but I plan to); I read the literature there and was told the sauna was located near the front of the complex and that I would need to wear a bathing suit or shorts and a tank-top and take my own towel.  Then I called Dallas Colon Care and immediately knew I wanted to go to DCC instead of Move, simply because I was allowed to shower and also, I was told it was best to experience the sauna in the buff (plenty of towels available).  I found this to be ultimately the best choice since once you get in there, you obviously begin to sweat profusely.  However, it is NOT uncomfortable, and one can easily breathe.  I was told that if it became too hot, I could simply open the door and allow a little cool air to enter.  I only did that one time to see how much cool air would enter (or heat would escape).  I closed the door quickly.

There is a timer that counts down the minutes that you can see, as well as the interior temperature of the sauna.  I found the experience quite relaxing and almost fell asleep.  Afterward, I was told I could shower again, to.. of course, wash off all that sweat.  All in all, it was a lovely experience, one that I plan to incorporate into my health routine.  How often?  I haven't decided that yet.  The session is $40 for 40 minutes (and no, you cannot opt for $30 dollars for 30 minutes and so on); that is their rule and I respect it.  Of course, if you wish to walk out of the sauna earlier, that's completely your choice.

Again, the idea behind Far Infrared is to help detoxify the body of environmental pollutants that WE ALL breathe in daily, pollutants WE ALL take in when we consume an unhealthy diet.  I considered it a luxury, but one I will treat myself to again and again.  It was that enjoyable and relaxing.

One other note, I did have some concerns about the size of the sauna once I heard it was a "portable" sauna. I am claustrophobic so the confines of the space concerned me.  However, I did not have a problem with the space or size at all, in fact, once inside, I felt "cozy."

------------
This blog is not intended to suggest that any one sauna product will help alleviate any medical conditions, this blog is my own personal account of my own vegan lifestyle and experiences.

No comments:

Post a Comment